Saturday, October 3, 2020

The Russell/Nesmith/TSG Confluence

Seen today at the Montana Historical Society's Charles M. Russell gallery,
 this painting brought to mind the Nez tune that it inspired.




All around the campfire stood seven dusty men
The cook was drinking applejack, the cattle were all penned
Someone must have cracked a wise one because the men began to grin
Their smiles shot out like sunbeams and made the night give in
Because
Laugh kills lonesome every single time
That's why Charlie Russell painted it
And why it looks so fine
Laugh kills lonesome every single time
   --Laugh Kills Lonesome by Michael Nesmith

2 comments:

Rootin' tootin' Parm said...

Maybe. But I'm thinking the implied levity might have more to do with something akin to that famous scene within Blazing Saddles, hmmm?

W. "Beans for dinner again?" Biscuit said...

I wonder where Mike N. encountered the painting that inspired his song. Is it possible that he had a free afternoon while on tour, did he see it in a book? I suppose I could try to utilize the "contact us" form VideoRanch website...stay tuned, I'll post back if I get a reply.